Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
i would think that there would be some sort of internal accounting that would prevent a refund check being issued for other than the amount shown on line 23 of the 1040x ("amount you want refunded to you")

I think you're expecting too much of the IRS. They can and do make errors, though this one sounds rather odd. I'm curious about the numbers - your taxable income went up and still you got a bunch of money back. There must be another credit in there somewhere...

i live overseas, so calling is not a good option for me. but due to the nature of the error, i am concerned that trying to resolve this through the mail is going to take a lot of back and forth. are my concerns justified, or is this simpler than i think?

I think your concerns are quite justified. I lived overseas for a few years, and while there had a difference of opinion with the IRS. I wasn't inclined to call them, and I never was able to get it straightened out with letters. So - good luck.

should i wait to cash the check until this is resolved? or should i go ahead and cash this check, after which i will receive another one for the difference?

I think you should deposit the check. They gave it to you, and I don't think there's any kind of mechanism for you to give it back to them and get credit for it. Assuming you can get this resolved, you should then get a check for the difference.

Lorenzo
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.