No. of Recommendations: 7
I would think the spending pattern for a 80-year-old is heavily dependent on the need for some kind of expensive assisted living arrangement.

I have only two data points worth of experience here - my father and her father - but both landed in very nice "independent living" facilities, then transitioned to the "assisted living" section, and from there to the "skilled nursing" part of the complex. (My father is now dead, hers is still alive at 92).

In both cases the pitch was "if you are here and run out of money, we will keep you here at no charge (however we will take the Medicare checks the government sends.)" With her father we are now facing that eventuality, my father died long before his resources were exhausted. (On the contrary, his portfolio kept growing and growing.

Anyway, for two out of two, the "crushing cost of assisted living" didn't seem so crushing at all. YOu just have to pick well, and hope they stay in business. (Both of these places are quasi-religious - one Jewish one Methodist, but no attendance or even adherence seems to be required).
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.