Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2

I would urge caution if taking a long term view

True, a new industry such as this is often doubted, that will cause price fluctuations.

I seem to recall reading over the last couple of years that when all the growers in the pipeline finally come online that the market will be flooded and Australia will be export positive for olive oil. This will mean depressed prices and profits.

I'm sure the same was said about the wine industry in the early days.
More production not only made wine much cheaper in Aus but also created a massive home as well as export market that was very small(Aus market)
& non existant (export market) before.

I see some rather tempting parallels between the two.
The olive oil market has been growing dispite the very expensive price in comparision to other oils.Higher Aus production based on sales of olive oil at current prices in my opinion could well be misleading, as I feel that higher production(more competition) will only serve to supply a bigger slice of the market to olive oil which long term is very positive & makes those figures wrong.

Its why shopping centres work , why car yards are often bunched together, competition isn't bad, it will produce winners & losers & in this case it will make a help mould a virgin industry an industry that I feel has a good growth potential long term.

Over production I see as a shorter term concern, as with most producers thats something that happens more on a year to year basis.

JR

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.