Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
I would work for 5 more years, we would agressively pay down the mortgage and invest, and then we would have 2 kids and I would stay home for approximately 10 years then go back to work.

My wife and I are about 6 years into what started as a similar "10 years off plan." But for the last 3 years I've been suggesting "Hon, you don't really want to go back to work, and you don't have to go back to work if you don't want to. We'll still get there alright."

And finally in the last year, for a lot of reasons, she's come around to agreeing with me. From my perspective, sharing the misery isn't a valid reason for both of us to work full time. Nor is racing towards FIRE at the fastest rate possible, ignoring what life is like on the way. And if you're embracing a LBYM lifestyle, there is a lot that a SAHM/F can do to contribute towards getting there (especially if you have kids).

There's still an enormous segment of society that evaluates people by what they do for wages and not by who they are and how they live, and SAHM bear the brunt of that discrimination, but as long as you surround yourself with like-minded individuals it should be OK.

Good luck,

Todd
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.