Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I wouldn't do a HELOC or home equity loan unless it was a fixed rate.

You can find HELOCs that allow you to fix all/part of the amount borrowed. Just keep in mind that the fixed rate will be at a higher rate than the variable rate that you would otherwise be paying at the time that you fix that rate.

I think the advantage of a HELOC is that you typically are only required to pay interest during the draw period (typically 10 years).

No, that's not very common any more. Bank regulators have pushed banks away from allowing interest-only loans, even on loans that are being held in the bank's portfolio. As a consequence, most HELOC lenders require at least a small amount of principal repayment, even during the draw period.

I would also point out that for the HELOCs that do offer interest-only during the draw period, the interest will be at a variable rate. The feature of 'fixing' a portion of the HELOC generally requires that you amortize the loan amount over the remaining term of the HELOC. So your two stated goals of (1) paying only interest and (2) paying a fixed rate seem to be in direct conflict.

I would use the extra income from the 1st rental to pay off the HELOC during the draw period.

Why don't you just save up the extra income from the first rental (and any other income you want to devote to real estate investment) in order to come up with a down payment? That way you don't need to borrow for the down payment at all.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.