Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I wound up unemployed in Lynchburg VA...after 13 years with GE....I had months to find a new job while still on the payroll.

Moved to Arlington VA..right outside DC....bought a townhouse in 1983.....I rode the subway to work.....for a couple years until transferred out to Reston (20 mile drive reverse commute).

Went to work for MCI.....

Stayed in the DC area for 7 years. Made a nice nearly 100K profit on the townhouse.....then got transferred to TX, all expenses paid......lucked out....housing market crashed right after I left.....MCI lost better part of 70K on the sale...they guaranteed me a price based upon 3 estimates....and I took their offer.....it took them nine months to sell it....and at a big loss..their problem not mine!....lucked out on that.....they had to replace the windows.....and put in new plywood on the roof....seems just after I left, the feds found the plywood they use decomposes.....the pressure treatment insect treatment or something..... their problem. Escaped that bullet.....

and been in same house I bought ever since......24 years now.....a 'normal' size house for my area....4 bedrooms...but I only use 2/3rds of my house..... could easily live in 1800 sq feet or less....but itis a 30K cost to relocate...between commissions, fees...and I'd have to spend another 20K to update kitchen.....and put in new carpets...etc.....no payback to moving....and everything is SO convenient...docs, gym, clubs.....eating places....good food shopping....

which reminds me...I need to walk down to the AA office for a new KY map for the trip next week.....1/2 mile away! Doesn't get any better!

t

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.