Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I wrote...

Question 2:

I live and work on the east coast, 800 miles away from my employer in the midwest. I work from my house, where I have converted a large basement room for exclusive office work where I work all the time.


For this, my employer pays me a monthly amount considered as "rent" for the use of my space and my computer and fax equipment...


Can I deduct this "rent" from my taxable income?

to which, jocave kindly replied...

I can see no reason to deduct the rent-- it's income.

It certainly sounds like you could take a home office deduction however, which will probably allow you to deduct expenses which approximate the "rent" your employer is paying you.

causing me to thank jocave, and ask further...

should this "rent" income (reported on 1099-misc, box 1 as rent, be reported by me in Schedule C, or Schedule E, or elsewhere such as Form 8829 (expenses for business use of home) or Form 2106 (employee business expense).

Hope to hear from jocave (or anyone soon).


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.