Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'd be interested to know why you use Excel for your planning instead of Quicken Lifetime Planner.

I want a little more detail, I guess. I don't want to leave too much to chance.
So, I wind up using Quicken reports to get the data that I put into the spreadsheets.
Perhaps I overdo the planning a bit.

I've got a tab with our bills arranged by date within the month and how much they are projected to be.
Another tab which projects out our account balances for each of our accounts.
A tab to estimate how much we can safely draw from each of our retirement accounts.
A tab which estimates our taxes for each of the next several years.
Tabs for social security contributions and expected benefits, MAGI income projection (for ACA subsidy eligibility), etc...

Truthfully, the whole thing is probably due for an overhaul. Every time I have a question about something, I seem to wind up throwing together a new spreadsheet tab on the fly. Because of that, there's some duplication in data and some inconsistencies. I set a lot of it up to determine when and how we could safely retire, which is a moot question now, since we both are retired. The biggest decisions now are where to take our income and how that will affect our taxes and ACA issues. Later on, when to start taking Social Security and what our RMDs will look like, and whether we will have to worry about IRMAA. If I took the time to really design it from the ground up, it would be better. But I'm lazy and it works well enough for me for now.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.