Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'd like to buy a 2nd rental property in the next few years without taking money out of the 1st one - it will be paid off in 3 years...

So you have time to shop around, for a rental AND a bank loan (if needed).

Best case scenario (and what I did 7 years ago), paid off the mortgage on my first rental property, then bought my second. Used some cash flow from my 1st property to help pay down the mortgage on my 2nd quicker. At that time I still needed 20% down even though have a FICO score of 820 and rental properties have good cash flow. Could have been that I was dealing with a smaller bank in a smallish city.

If you find your dream rental deal next week, refinance current mortgage which should free up cash flow to use on 2nd property.

Either way, good idea to start talking to bankers now and get the paperwork moving. That way you can shop around for best rates/deals and have "loan in hand" when you start talking price with sellers.

As an aside, I'm a proponent of LLCs. And I hold my separate rental properties in separate LLCs. Offers some protection but that varies from state to state.

JLC
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.