No. of Recommendations: 3
I'll add my two cents to the thread.

I had a crock pot for years, and almost never used it as I did not like the results.

I had a stove top "jiggle" pressure cooker for even more years, but seldom used it after I moved into my house as it has an electric stove and it was difficult to regulate the pressure.

When the Instant Pot came out, I bought one and gave the crock pot and stove top pressure cooker to my secretary (she wanted them, not forced on her). I also have an electric yogurt make, which I almost never use, and I do not make yogurt in the Instant Pot.

I mostly make soups in the instant pot, but I do occasionally use it for other things. One of my favorite things is green split pea soup; extremely easy, fast, and delicious. I have made this from scratch while guests were here, and it worked out great and timely.

The saute function works well for me because most of the time there is only me, so mostly I am cooking four to six servings of something, with most of it going in the freezer for future meals. It might be tedious if one were trying to brown a larger quantity of food as the bottom surface area is relatively small compared to a 12 inch frying pan or a dutch oven.

If you purchase, order an extra gasket as it does absorb odors. After I made the red lentil chili recipe (which was very good), it took about 8 times through the dishwasher before the spicy smell was gone from the gasket. I also found the glass top supposedly for optional use with the Instant Pot as a slow cooker very handy for overnight refrigerator storage of the inner cooking pot before freezing the leftovers.

As to cleaning, the top generally requires only a thorough rinsing in hot water, maybe a little dishwasher liquid if the contents were large and messy. Cleaning the inner pot has always been easy. Even in those few cases where I've had some burned on stuff during the saute period, that fond has been incorporated into the liquid during the pressurized cooking period.

Depending on what you intend to cook, I do recommend the Instant Pot as I do use it, although not that often, and have been pleased with the results.

Much as I like the Instant Pot, if I had my dream kitchen with plenty of storage space (I already have a kitchen with quite a lot of storage space, just not dreamy), I might choose to have one of the high-end stove top pressure cookers as you can reduce the pressure very quickly by running it under cold water. This allows you to start meat or other long-cooking items, reduce the pressure, and then add vegetables or other things that require much less time under pressure, so there is still one-pot cooking.

But on second thoughts, that last paragraph might have been true years ago; now, I'm too old/lazy, so I'd likely stick with the Instant Pot.

Bottom line: Instant Pot is recommended as long as it isn't duplicative of other things you have that you don't intend to get rid of.

Wessex

P.S. Amazon has some silicone inserts that may be useful, depending on what you want to cook.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.