Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm curious why you wouldn't want a preseasoned pan.

Because I only eat kosher food. I have no way of knowing if the oil used for seasoning is kosher. It might contain fat from a non-kosher animal.

Cooking kosher food in such a pot would make the food unkosher.

(If you don't know what kosher is, I created a website to explain it: http://kosher.us/ )

Lodge used to sell kosher-verified pre-seasoned pans. Which just means that an independent organization certified that the oil they used was kosher. (It was vegetable oil.) Unfortunately, Lodge no longer does this.

When I originally posted, I knew that a pre-seasoned skillet can be made kosher through a process called libun gamur. It requires heating the item to 800°F, usually with a blowtorch. This method didn't strike me as practical. (For one thing, I don't own a blowtorch.)

But through additional internet research I've learned that some self-cleaning ovens reach a temperature of 800°F. So I can put the pan in the oven and running a self-clean cycle, which will destroy (by burning) any non-kosher ingredients that might be on the pan.

I need to verify with a reliable source (a rabbi) that this is acceptable. Apparently some modern self-cleaning ovens only get to 700°F, which isn't sufficient. Further research is required.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.