Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm currently long ETSY, but reconsidering after reading this discussion. this is mainly based on Saul's observation about recurring vs. non recurring purchases, which I hadnt thought of before, and it is something I Tthink needs to be looked at further.

I purchased Etsy earlier this year, and it is one of my larger holdings (but only 4%, I am still consolidating to a more concentrated portfolio so I have too many stocks at the moment. I did this based on the Fool, and some of the people here, plus my own experience - I just opened up a (very small) wood working shop on Etsy, and we bought items off Etsy for the first time a month or so ago.

We bought a memento for an RV trip we took this summer to visit my folks due to CV-19 so we bought an RV ornament for Christmas, customized for this trip. We also bought one or two other items on Etsy, but neither of them will be repeat purchases, they were for unique, one time only items for a specific occasion.

(as for my shop, there are so many competitors that it is hard to get noticed without advertising, etc (and honestly, it is more a hobby and to see if there is a market there). I see ETSY going more the way of the larger stores, etc, kinda like eBay or even Amazon, where larger stores will get the better search results, etc. this may drive away the smaller boutique stores eventually, removing some of the charm from the web site.. I am not sure though - a competitor will be needed of course)

to summarize, my experience is like Saul said - non repeat business. We will look on there some times but we usually just go to AMZN, and I dont see us buying much off Etsy. I am up ~15% or so on the stock this year, but am thinking of selling it before the next quarter, once I ID a better place to put my money.

V/r,

dave
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.