Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
I'm definitely not 30 but in all honesty, I've been bored with jobs most of my life. And it is worse at large companies (especially defense contractors) because the standard for getting stuff done is so low or maybe the average engineer is so bad.

The past couple of years I'm getting over that salary but except for a rare day, I can get my work done in a few hours and still meet/exceed all schedules. I spend the remainder of the time reading financial, sports, technology stuff (even doing some problems over at codewars) and no one complains.

Once in a while I have a challenging problem that takes nearly my full day and afterwards I go "Geez, that was nice. I actually had a real problem and had to use my brain"

And yeah in the past I have complained at various companies about being bored but I try to be careful. I would like to be challenged for my 40 hrs a week but have zero interest in more than 40 hrs. I recently told one manager that the company has no interest in top engineers but seem to prefer marginal ones so they can bill more and more hours to the government.

Years ago when I was just starting out I met up with a sales engineer and an application engineer representing a distributor (we were doing hardware and buying a lot of ICs). I recall the app engineer telling me his story of working at Westinghouse and one day told his boss he was done his work. His boss then got upset because he was done ahead of schedule and now he had to find him another billable task.

I realize this could be alien for those in other industries/companies but any of my friends could tell you how many times I have complained about being bored at work. And most companies have done stuff to de-incentivize employees and remove loyalty from them by eliminating pensions, providing safe harbor instant vesting of matching money (a rare change that benefits the employee), no stock options, no annual bonus, etc.

Fortunately I'm nearing the finish line and I can often ignore the corporate or government BS and do whatever interests me.

I've often wished instead of being required to work 40 hrs instead they would just give you a task and when you are done you can go home and still get paid based on the task and not the hours. That was one advantage of school. If person A could do the homework/study/etc. 1 hour a week and get his/hers "A" and Person B took 10 hrs to get their "A" well that is life but person A didn't have to waste 9 hours looking busy.

Oh well, there are worse problems to have in life :)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.