Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm doubtful there will be a useful vaccine but also, there are a number of people who won't get a vaccine. Now I don't know if they will be the traveling kind or not.

For whatever reason I think a vaccine is just too "clean" or fairy tale of an ending to this nightmare. Don't mind being wrong on that.

Sedona is interesting to visit. Way too artsy for me to live/stay there very long.
Print the post Back To Top
I'm doubtful there will be a useful vaccine but also, there are a number of people who won't get a vaccine. Now I don't know if they will be the traveling kind or not.

For whatever reason I think a vaccine is just too "clean" or fairy tale of an ending to this nightmare. Don't mind being wrong on that.

Sedona is interesting to visit. Way too artsy for me to live/stay there very long.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I think there's a big difference between places that most people drive to and places most people fly to, and also between cities and rural places. I have a friend who left San Diego County in his RV in May, and he's been staying in places all over the Rockies ever since--16 weeks and counting. Sometimes he stays in the RV, but he also stays in hotels and resorts. Yellowstone was plenty busy, as were rodeos, art shows, and tourist attractions--albeit typically with some limitations/rules.

For me, the lodging part is not a big concern. I can disinfect a room or apartment easily enough, decline housekeeping for the duration of my stay, and check to insure that the windows are openable. It's the flying part. The availability of a vaccine probably won't change that concern materially, depending of course on the effectiveness of the vaccine and the inoculation rate. I don't anticipate widespread vaccination with an effective vaccine for at least another year, but I will almost certainly fly (long haul) before then. So it's up to me to protect myself adequately.
No. of Recommendations: 4
My crystal ball is in the shop for repairs, else I would tell you

1. When the vaccine(s) will be through clinical trials. Spring, summer, next winter?

2. How effective it will be

3. How long it will take to manufacture 300 million doses

4. When other countries will be willing to admit Americans again who, as a group, have behaved horribly. Even Canada is disgusted.

5. What those vaccines will cost in our for-profit healthcare system.

I think pre-buying a vacation right now makes about as much sense as a timeshare. Imagine paying for one of those in 2020...
SG: My crystal ball is in the shop for repairs, else I would tell you

Mine has been on the fritz for years. If you know of a good repair place, I would appreciate your sharing it with me.

CNC
No. of Recommendations: 5
A lot of people already are bonkers. Some businesses are trying to be responsible. But they're desperate to be open. Some countries are not allowing (or tightly restricting) tourists. Many won't accept Americans regardless. Many cruise destinations are closed to cruise ships.

If/when it loosens up I think there will be a flood of people. Vaccine or no (I tend to agree there won't be one...like a vaccine for a cold, there just isn't one). Some people like me will delay a bit to see if the herd gets slaughtered before venturing out, but a lot of people won't.

Dealing with 1poorlady's cancer and chemo is keeping me busy, so we wouldn't be traveling anyway. She's coming out the other side of this, so hopefully when she's strong again things will be sane (and safe).

1poorguy

Dealing with 1poorlady's cancer and chemo is keeping me busy, so we wouldn't be traveling anyway. She's coming out the other side of this, so hopefully when she's strong again things will be sane (and safe).

Good luck with that. Being sick in the midst of a pandemic, especially at the height of it would be a nightmare to me.

I still one of the reasons my friend didn't seek help was that it was during the height of things in MD where hospitals were packed and he didn't want to deal with that and thought he could tough it out.

I'm not sure Americans behavior (except maybe anti-mask ones) is really much different from the rest of the world. I think it is France and the UK with big increases in cases now.

Get well soon.
I'm not sure Americans behavior (except maybe anti-mask ones) is really much different from the rest of the world. I think it is France and the UK with big increases in cases now.

I agree, please keep politics off this board....

Teri
No. of Recommendations: 11
Death rates from a worldwide virus shouldn’t be a “political issue” it should be a scientific issue. It is a fact many countries have banned us.

Just stating facts. Didn’t bring up politics.
5. What those vaccines will cost in our for-profit healthcare system.

It is likely that most insurance will cover COVID vaccines with no co-pay.

The question will be how many will be able to retain health insurance.
I believe it was stated a vaccine would-be provided to everyone at no cost. Not sure how official that was. Still think it is unlikely to be useful.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Just an odd question I had.... Maybe going along with this thread. I tried to figure out what happened with the last pandemic -- the one in 1918. Was there a virus made for that one? I Googled this question and could not find the answer. I believe that virus was a version of H1N1. I was trying to figure out how it ended. Does anyone know if they came up with a vaccine, or how it ended?

Apologies if this really strays from this thread topic...

Footsox
footsox, there was no vaccine. The "Spanish flu" virus is still around but gradually mutated to a less deadly form. Before it got there, it killed many millions.

"In 1918, roughly half of those who died were men and women in their 20s and 30s. People were getting sick and dying in the prime of their lives.
'As many as 8 to 10 percent of all young adults then living may have been killed by the virus,' historian John M. Barry wrote in his best-selling book 'The Great Influenza'."

More here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/09/01/1918-flu-p...

Getting back to travel, I still hope to return the Hawaii (from Michigan) within the next few months. Hawaii just updated its trans-Pacific travel rule. You can skip the mandatory, enforced 14-day quarantine if you provide proof of a negative Covid-19 test taken within 72 hours of your departure to Hawaii. The problem is that the test must be the more accurate kind, processed by a certified lab. Presently, even getting that kind of test is not easy in many places, and getting the result typically takes 4-5 days and often quite a bit longer.
For now, just get a Flu shot.

Cheers,

Bill
For now, just get a Flu shot.

Done. High-dose one @ CVS. Took 5 minutes. Free (with my insurance).
No. of Recommendations: 6
Picture being on a cruise ship with hundreds or thousands of people. Let's assume all of which have to prove they have had their shots and are COVID negative. Now, the ship docks at Mumbai and you take an Uber to the market to play in the crowds.

How sure are you that your particular flavor of vaccination won't wear off before you get home?

How sure are you that the strain of virus in India has not mutated from the one you are protected from?

How sure is the Indian government that you won't bring a different flavor of infection than they have been struggling with?

You are far from home and even Medjet Assist (an air ambulance service) has washed their hands of transporting COVID infected clients.

I am pretty sure that it would be foolish to plan a cruise - or even a flight - during 2021. Hopefully another 18 months or so will answer the level of risk and inconvenience in attempting the above.

Jeff
Yep. It looks like a long time for us to travel. Just trying to be optomistic and maybe start planning where we would like to go. Most likely stay in the US on our first few trips. Might look into RV's... probably not for us, but I can't imagine staying home for 2 years. Thanks for all the info. You guys always seem to point out something we hadn't thought of. Thanks!

-Footsox
You are far from home and even Medjet Assist (an air ambulance service) has washed their hands of transporting COVID infected clients.

As of October 19, Medjet will start to transfer COVID patients within North America and Caribbean. In time, COVID transfers will become more routine.
There are people traveling right NOW!! Our friends are out doing our 55 day RV trip to WY, SD, NE, CO & UT. They were in South Dakota exactly 2 weeks after the end of the Sturgis South Dakota Rally that attracted 490,000 bikers!!! South Dakota does not require mask, allows indoor dining and bars were open. My brother and family all went to Phoenix, AZ for a graduation & family reunion in July during an outbreak there and as hard as I tried to talk my brother out of going, he went and everything was fine. My brother has late stage COPD and if he gets COVID he's a goner. He has just put down a deposit on a 7 day cruise in June 2021 with his wife, their two daughters and his wife's family and they will all have to fly from the West Coast to the East Coast!

We have camping reservations in Utah for October but have decided to cancel them since its in such a remote area without cell service and would take three days of traveling and different campgrounds to get there and then back home. The national park campground we will be canceling is all booked up so there are going to be some happy campers when they go looking for reservations and they find 10 open days!

I went looking for a local RV park and all the state parks near the ocean are BOOKED up for the next 6 months. We finally found a private campground so we could celebrate our anniversary near the ocean.

We will make camping reservations for late next spring for two of our favorite places 6 months in advance because that's what you have to do to get a campsite and it will only cost $18.00 to cancel if we don't feel comfortable about going. We will do that for the fall too.

We will put off cruising until the vaccine has been proven and then probably just to Alaska.

Utahtea