Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
I'm in the market for a new automobile, but now I think I'll wait for the $12,500 tax credit on electric vehicles in the proposed "Infrastructure" bill. It pays to keep up on your reading.

Just a personal observation.
We just took a 350 mile (each way) trip to see the twin grandkids, in our Honda CR-V. On the way down we filled the tank before we left, topped it off half the way there when we stopped to grab a McDonald's and soda. 3 minutes to pump the gas, 5 minutes for restroom, 5 minutes at MickyDee.
Did not notice ANY EV recharge stations.

On the way back I filled up at Walmart (cheapest gas around) on the way out of town.
Not quite halfway, we stopped (at a different station than on the way there), but didn't bother to get gas, just a bite to eat and restroom stop. This station had two (2) EV charge stations and 28 gas pumps.

Twice we got caught up in highway construction. 10 miles crawling between 1 MPH and 5 MPH.

I tried to picture what a nightmare that trip would have been in an electric vehicle. I don't care what the range claims are, there is no way I would have let it go more than 100-150 miles before taking a recharge. So....two ~1 hour charge stops each way. Assuming that there was no wait for the charge station. Which isn't a good bet, seeing as this gas station saw the need to install 28 gas pumps.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.