No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm in the solar business but I'm not a good battery salesman :)
Every customer we have is excited about getting a battery and I'm a big letdown when I tell them it's still way too expensive (some still do it).
Home-scale batteries of around 10 kWh, from Tesla, LG-Chem, Sonnen and some others are in the $500-$700/kWh range.
Large scale batteries of ~200,000 kWh are in the $200/kWh range, as I understand.

The $200/kWh price point is low enough that storage is becoming common for these huge systems.
Small scale stuff will take quite a while to get to that point.

Mark,

For telecom energy arbitrage, 100 dollars installed is the number that has to happen.

There are places, islands mostly, where battery plus storage works at 500 to 700 dollars kilowatt hour.

In was not saying we ate at 100 dollars a kilowatt hour, but with these numbers and cost graphs it is easy to see what happens when.

Cheers
Qazulight
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.