Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm in Va.too.

We're in King and Queen County, St. Stephens Church. If y'all ever come over this way and wanna hook-up for dinner, holler and I'll smoke summa my World Famous Pork Butt. I mix my own rub and cook my own mustard and vinegar BBQ sauce...Sweet, tangy, with a nice after-bite. Mix it all together and even The Boss will eat it even though she doesn't like most spicy foods.

OMG, that is the call I heard the other day.....I've heard of Bobwhite's before but it's been a long time and I had forgotten it was a quail. :)

Cool beans!! I assumed you'd find a link on your own, and then decided to go look for myself to see what came up. I'm glad that I did because I knew the males "sung" Bob-White as they searched for mates, but I never knew the males and females had a different "call" they used (second recording) and have had to listen to it several times myself now because I think there may be both males and females around here. I learned something new by searching for that collection of recordings. :-)

Part of ageing is relearning things. Each day is a new beginning! :)

Lucky Dog

Roger that, for both of us even. <bg>

Bill

P.S. Apologies, and H/T, to goofnoff for not getting upset that I high-jacked his thread. I should have started a new one, but didn't think about it until it was too late.

P.P.S. The same offer for smoked pork butt goes to you as well. :-)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks goof. I put a note in my planner for it.

I still haven't seen the nuthatches return to the nest....they built it real big and from time to time I see a leaf or two in it but no chirps or fly-a-ways. Grrr.... The weather has been screwy....but they still have to eat! :)
I'm no bird expert by any means, nor do I keep track of which ones come through, but I do enjoy seeing and hearing them.

I use a Bluetooth earpiece with my cellphone and was talking to my M-I-L last week and she stopped me mid-sentence and asked what kinda bird was making all "that noise."

It was a house wren. Those things are so small, but very loud.

It was behind me halfway between our property and the neighbor's.

I know my earpiece is very sensitive and picks up noises that I don't expect the person I'm chatting with to hear, but the fact that she heard a bird behind me at least 75 to 100 yards away was quite amazing.

And, my favorite bird all of that I love to hear is the Bobwhite (Quail). I did a LOT of Quail hunting when I was a kid and dearly loved eating them. We had so many of them around that we weren't in danger of depleting their numbers.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of them around our area here in VA, so I will not hunt them.

However, several years ago an occasional Quail would some "visit" our property looking for a mate and a new breeding ground.

When I'd hear him calling, I'd answer. Occasionally I could get him to come closer, but "he" never seemed to be as interested as I'd have liked.

Shortly after the first couple of visits, I got my wife outside to hear him and taught her how to call to him. Her second time calling to him got him to come so far onto our property while we were out back that he actually came out of the woods, hopped up onto a pile of wood, and was looking around for another Quail while we stood there watching in amazement.

We've had a visitor every year since.

I finally heard one calling several days ago and told her one has been coming by. Earlier this evening she took The Puppy out for a walk and I was listening while she and a Quail were calling to each other.

Funny how I used to be able to call a Quail in close, but can't today. She never knew how, but now does a better job than me. I love it.

Bill
I'll have to listen to a recording of a quail singing and see if it's familiar. There was a new bird call in my yard/area that was unfamilia to me....loud....if it was Morse code....it would be dit dit dahhhhhhhhhh.

I'm in Va.too.

Lucky Dog
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'll have to listen to a recording of a quail singing and see if it's familiar.

Their call is; Bob (pause), Bob, White! The White part is loud and shrill.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Bobwhite/sounds...

Here's a coupla links about Quail that I use;

https://www.facebook.com/VirginiaBobwhiteBulletin/

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/quail/

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/quail/get-to-know-bobwhite/

https://bringbackbobwhites.org/

The VA Quail Recovery Initiative is a program that pays landowners an incentive to restore lands back to native grasses and plants that not only benefit Quail, but other animals and insects as well. I don't recall how much they pay per acre, but I guess every little bit helps when you're spending money.

They'll also send a local rep out to your property to discuss what needs to be done and how to do it.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/quail/get-involved/private-lan...

Loved hunting and eating them when I was a kid in FL, but I wouldn't hunt them here right now unless their numbers grew locally. There are several large farms nearby that are working to help restore the Quail, which is why we keep getting visitors coming over here looking for new areas to start new coveys, but they haven't moved in yet. Maybe someday.

I could talk Quail all day long. <bg>

Bill
OMG, that is the call I heard the other day.....I've heard of Bobwhite's before but it's been a long time and I had forgotten it was a quail. :)

Lucky Dog
I'm in Va.too.

We're in King and Queen County, St. Stephens Church. If y'all ever come over this way and wanna hook-up for dinner, holler and I'll smoke summa my World Famous Pork Butt. I mix my own rub and cook my own mustard and vinegar BBQ sauce...Sweet, tangy, with a nice after-bite. Mix it all together and even The Boss will eat it even though she doesn't like most spicy foods.

Cool beans!! I assumed you'd find a link on your own, and then decided to go look for myself to see what came up. I'm glad that I did because I knew the males "sung" Bob-White as they searched for mates, but I never knew the males and females had a different "call" they used (second recording) and have had to listen to it several times myself now because I think there may be both males and females around here. I learned something new by searching for that collection of recordings. :-)

Lucky Dog

Roger that, for both of us even. <bg>

Bill

P.S. Apologies, and H/T, to goofnoff for not getting upset that I high-jacked his thread. I should have started a new one, but didn't think about it until it was too late.

P.P.S. The same offer for smoked pork butt goes to you as well. :-)
No. of Recommendations: 0

Lucky Dog

I replied earlier in this thread how my wife called in a Quail, but check this video out...Purty cool!!

https://www.facebook.com/ben.lambert.585112/posts/6760741861...

Bill