Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm no expert either, but my take is the same based on what I read. They are just a bit better cold storage process. TMDX is in a different league. Plus, I didn't see anything for XVIVO for transplanting livers or hearts. TMDX has units that provide for those as well (US use in final stages of approval). My recollection is livers and heart transplants are higher margin and have less competition.

Mike

Correct that TMDX has devices for all 3 organs - with future plans to develop a device for kidneys. The other big advantage that TMDX will have is the service organization they are developing. They will have TMDX technicians regionally located that will be trained on using all 3 organ devices to assist with organ retrieval, transportation, and delivery - XVIVO has nothing like that. My opinion has been that the success (or failure) of the service organization will be the determining factor in how big and fast TMDX grows.

I'm not sure on margins, but I do know the number of transplants is much higher for liver and heart than it is for lungs.

2019 total transplants for lung = 2,700; heart = 3,500; liver = 8,900; kidney = 15,500.
NOTE - the kidney number is only for deceased donors. It's much higher for live donor kidney transplants.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.