Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm no tax authority, but I would say that your "gift" would be just that, a separate transaction, meaning...

a. your son can deduct the loan interest paid to you.
b. the interest paid to you is interest income, reportable and taxable
c. your gift to your son is a separate transaction, and as it is within the gifting limits, it has no tax consequence. However does not relieve you of the tax due on the interest you received.

Gifting your son has no impact on the tax you owe, or that he might deduct.

If you want to help your son out while coming out even, you could gift him an amount equal to the interest you received, less the tax you paid. For example, you paid $100 on the $1000 of interest received, you would then gift your son $900. That gift would not affect his ability to deduct his loan interest.

Hope that helps.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.