Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm not going to get into any serious politics but lobbyists/money seem to control things over common sense.

For example not long ago I was reading about how complicated tax laws are and they were describing one benefit for lower income people. Companies like Intuit (Turbo Tax) & H&R block were lobbying not to make it easier but instead make it even more complicated in the theory they could sell more of their services.

And you can easily extend that to many of today's problems. I don't know where others live but around me it seems like potholes are everywhere and I haven't seen one road crew fixing any of them and yet they are raising the gas tax by 7 cents in a time where MD had a huge surplus in their budget.

Sadly we are just peons. A manager at work once told me that upper management just views everyone as FTEs (full time equivalents) and not as people or people with different skills. I was hoping he was wrong but he wasn't.

It is sadly amusing how many people don't vote for things in their best interest.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.