Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not one to normally sell out and go cash either. The only other time I've done that since I started investing in the late 90's was in 2008 when I went 100% cash in January of that year. Unfortunately, I was fully invested again only a few months later so I didn't avoid the real carnage. This time I really don't think I'll be jumping back in until after the election because I suspect the stock market will throw a tantrum if Bernie wins whether it's justified or not.

This is a weird situation where I hope I'm wrong.
Print the post Back To Top
Total return = 23.5%. Yowza.

I wonder how many people got out because of the big drop in December of 2018 and stayed out because of "high valuations." Or, how many people sold stocks after the post-2009 runup, in say 2014-2016, and were waiting for a clear sign that it was time to get back in.
I didn't get out and if I recall was up 7.6% from the Xmas eve low to the end of 2018 and then up 31.0% for 2019. I went to 83% cash this past Monday though. Hopefully the virus won't get completely out of control but I think efforts to contain it will cause a global recession regardless. Stock valuations are near historical highs so I just feel like the reward for staying in outweighs the potential risk of a deep global recession.

Concerts, conventions, sporting events, and basically any kind of large gatherings are going to be cancelled or significantly scaled back. The Olympics in Japan are in serious jeopardy of being cancelled and even if they aren't it's likely a large number of countries will be on travel ban lists by then.
I mean the risk for staying in outweighs the potential reward given current valuations.
I'm not one to normally sell out and go cash either. The only other time I've done that since I started investing in the late 90's was in 2008 when I went 100% cash in January of that year. Unfortunately, I was fully invested again only a few months later so I didn't avoid the real carnage. This time I really don't think I'll be jumping back in until after the election because I suspect the stock market will throw a tantrum if Bernie wins whether it's justified or not.

This is a weird situation where I hope I'm wrong.