Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm not sure I could tell a "good grinder" from one that "blows". Ours seems to work. Sometimes chuck will be on sale, and we'll grind some for burgers or any other dish that calls for ground beef.

The only real issue I have with it is that a bit of meat remains unground and wrapped around the screw/spindle. It's not much, but it seems like a design deficiency. Or maybe that all do that? Dunno.

The issue is that the stock Kitchenaid blade is more like a club than a knife, so it doesn't cut through the gristle very well and it winds up wrapping around the screw. You can buy replacement blades from Amazon or Butcher & Packer, etc. that work properly.
Print the post Back To Top
We don't use it a lot, but we do use it. We have a Kitchen Aid Mixer with the meat grinder attachment.

This is the big boy: https://www.costco.com/kitchenaid-professional-series-6-quar...

We have the slightly smaller one (and less expensive) with the tilt head.

The grinder attachment is available: https://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances/stand-mixer...

(They even have a sausage stuffer.)
No. of Recommendations: 0
Ooooo, dat's outside the budget, for now. Also, I have other accessories that need "counter space", so something that size is... well... also, it does more than I want.

Just need a dedicated grinder for now. Don't want/need any bells or whistles.
There is the cheaper one (that we have). Plus, a side-benefit for us is that it is a multi-tasker. You can whip batter, use the dough hook for bread, etc, PLUS we can have the attachments for meat grinding, pasta making, and lots more. If you have separate items for all those things you can consolidate into one device that is probably only slightly larger than the dedicated grinder you seek. Then you have one appliance instead of 5 or 10.

And these things last forever. You'll be passing that down to your grandchildren. The oldest one known is from 1919 (they had a contest).

https://www.wallswithstories.com/houses/kitchenaid.html

I bought ours before I was married. About 30 years ago. In that time it has made a lot of cakes and brownies, ground a lot of chuck into burgers and meatloafs, and recently 1poorlady has mastered bread (I never got a decent rise). It's a workhorse.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I have my mother's vintage handcrank meat grinder. Don't know when she bought it, but it's been around since before I was born. I also can't tell you how much she paid for it.

AC *still works*
I need a good... last me 10+ years good... meat grinder. Guess my budget is ~$300.

Gittin' to ol' for manual anymore. Need electric...

-What do you own? Manu/model# please?
-Do you like it?
-Easy to keep clean?
-If you had to replace it, what would you get?

I have used the accessory pack/meat grinder on my Kitchen Aid Mixer to grind meat and stuff sausages and found that it was very hard to use and too high to be convenient. Upon advice from folks on the Fool’s BBQ Board some 25 or so years ago, I bought the Northern Tool & Equipment Company’s “electric meat grinder with sausage stuffers” (Item # 168620). See https://www.northerntool.com/images/downloads/manuals/168620... . It is easy to use, clean and has more than enough power for my use. I checked their web site and noticed that item is no longer listed.
;-(

If I was to replace it, I think that I would look at this unit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F55EUQ/ref=as_li_tf_tl... as my next grinder/sausage stuffer, me.
;-)

C.J.V. - but don’t figure on replacing my present machine, no
There's a market near me with real butchers.

When chuck roasts are on sale I ask them to double grind a few for me.
I repackage the 10 or 15 pounds at home into 1 or 2 pound zip locks and freeze it.

Always got it in the freezer for burgers, chili, spaghetti, stroganoff, etc.

What's for dinner never means 'must go to store." There's always fish and ground chuck.
C.J.V. - but don’t figure on replacing my present machine, no

~~~

Understood and thanks for all of this... good information.

What's for dinner never means 'must go to store." There's always fish and ground chuck.

~~~

Exactly what I'm working towards. What I need it for is old(er) dark meat chicken. Chewy, unless ground... hence the need. We do our own chicken... eggs and meat... and just something else to add to my repertoire.

Thanks people...
Never used the sausage stuffer, so can't comment. That always seemed to be an artform anyway...getting the right amount of meat per inch so the casing doesn't rupture but also wasn't under-filled.

We have the meat grinder, and the juicer. We also would have the pasta maker attachment if I didn't already have a pasta machine (hand-crank, made in Italy).

If I had it to do over again, I probably would skip the juicer, get the pasta attachment, and not get the hand-crank pasta machine. Just for the sake of efficiency. It all works fine, just a matter of space and efficiency. They've got some other cool attachments, too.

When I was a kid 1poormom had a meatgrinder. Electric. As I recall it was maybe the size of a small toaster. Apparently it broke because she no longer has it.

1poorguy
We don't use it a lot, but we do use it. We have a Kitchen Aid Mixer with the meat grinder attachment.

That grinder blows. It works the meat way too hard. I know, I own it. Not being a grinder expert, I'd recommend going to Cabella's or some such. They have a great selection of grinders that you can scope out for yourself.
have used the accessory pack/meat grinder on my Kitchen Aid Mixer to grind meat and stuff sausages and found that it was very hard to use and too high to be convenient. Upon advice from folks on the Fool’s BBQ Board some 25 or so years ago, I bought the Northern Tool & Equipment Company’s “electric meat grinder with sausage stuffers”

I've used the Kitchen Aid to stuff sausages and felt it lacking. The Grizzly vertical hand crank stuffer is far superior, however I see they don't apparently sell it anymore.

Although it appears similar units are available at far higher prices:

https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H6252-Sausage-Stuffer-Vertica...

I really think the hand crank is needed for the fine control. At least at the skill level I'm at (low skill level).
I'm not sure I could tell a "good grinder" from one that "blows". Ours seems to work. Sometimes chuck will be on sale, and we'll grind some for burgers or any other dish that calls for ground beef.

The only real issue I have with it is that a bit of meat remains unground and wrapped around the screw/spindle. It's not much, but it seems like a design deficiency. Or maybe that all do that? Dunno.
I've used an old cast iron hand crank sausage stuffer with my family for years. We've done small diameter spicy sausages (like jacklinks), medium diameter like bratwurst, and larger diameter like summer sausage.

I would definitely recommend the cast-iron ones if you're looking to get a sausage stuffer.
They're built to last for generations.

The issue is that the stock Kitchenaid blade is more like a club than a knife, so it doesn't cut through the gristle very well and it winds up wrapping around the screw. You can buy replacement blades from Amazon or Butcher & Packer, etc. that work properly.
I have the same Northern Tool meat grinder. It would seem the following grinder from Northern Tool would be a good substitute.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200680782_20...
To all who replied on this thread... I do appreciate all the feedback.

I ended up with an LEM grinder. Went thru 3lbs of old hen and happy with the results. Time will tell if it has any shortcomings.

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/mighty-bite-8-grinder/
LEM makes good products. If you ever get into sausage making, I suggest buying a separate stuff instead of using the stuffing attachments on the grinder.

PSU
I suggest buying a separate stuff instead of using the stuffing attachments on the grinder.

~~~

Prob not... but now you have piqued my interest: Why do you suggest this?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Prob not... but now you have piqued my interest: Why do you suggest this?

It is easier to control the speed of the meat that enters the casing with a dedicated sausage stuffer. If I try to stuff a casing with my grinder, it shoves the meat in so fast that the casing can be unevenly stuffed. Some people use a foot speed control on their grinder to make it easier. I just like the control I have with my manual vertical stuffer. It is very handy when I'm making breakfast sausage or slim jim meat sticks since the casing can burst easily.

Here is LEMs version:

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/mighty-bite-5lb-stainles...
Interesting... understood...
Thanks for splain'...