Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 8
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to address this, but I'm at the point where I need to ask if it makes any sense to continue my subscription to Pro.

Well, this board is actually focused on how to live well in retirement on less, thus the name "Retire Well on Less", but I'll give it a shot. You would get more specific advice for MF Pro (although probably more biased toward keeping the subscription) if you went to the MF Pro board. Also, please keep in mind that I have never paid for a subscription like this, and don't intend to do so, so my advice is probably biased the other way.

I take full responsibility for neglecting these accounts the last couple of years and not doing any active investing. For several years, I enjoyed following the market but other interests have made it more of a chore now.

This right here tells me that you are probably better off not paying for any subscription, and just putting your money into Vanguard LifeStrategy fund, a Vanguard Target Retirement fund, or a few Vanguard ETFs.

To answer your specific concerns:

1) Does the potential returns on such a small portfolio justify the fee?

Can't tell from the information you posted, since you gave no context of timeframe, no context of the split between you and your wife's balances, nor any context of how much you actually followed the recommendations.

That said, you can figure it out for yourself by taking the current combined balance for the accounts, subtracting the MF Pro fees that you've paid, and subtracting the original balances to get the net gain since you started using MF Pro. Then, look at something like VASGX (Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth fund) https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundIntExt=I... and see how much your original balance would have grown to over the same time frame. If your account balances are higher, then the fees seem to have been worth the cost. But keep in mind, (1) past performance does not guarantee future results and (2) if you've neglected the accounts for the past couple of years, did you really use the advice? Or if you'd been following the advice, would your performance have been different?

2) Specific to my account, does it make any sense to sell all or part of a block of 100 shares in order to obtain cash just to buy options?

Issue 1: Not sure why you're stuck on 100 share blocks. WAAAAYYY back in the day, before discount brokers became common, it was cheaper to trade in 100 share blocks (aka 'round lots'). However, in this day and age, you can easily get the same price for a 1 share trade as for a 100 share trade. If your broker doesn't offer this type of pricing, I would strongly suggest moving your account.

Issue 2: OPTIONS? Really? If you find keeping up with your current accounts too much of a chore, why would you even want to consider options?

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.