Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm not sure what you're asking, Paul..... a certification for yourself or what to look for in a trainer.

..... until I checked out significantly less well trained trainers sponsored by the local gym

How did you decide this? From your own assessment or because Mark Rippetoe says so? A trainer's level of training and experience depends upon their individual track record not whether they train from a trad setting, a SS or CrossFit box or their computer chair. Mark Rippetoe tends to be dismissive of anything that's not Big Lifts (alone) linear progression and "complexity" (anything other than Big Lifts alone) Well.......he would say that, wouldn't he. That's all he's got.

The thing to understand is that CrossFit, SS, Curves, Orange Theory etc are affiliate/franchise set ups. All you need to operate and train from one is to have done their particular certification course (which, unless things have changed dramatically since I last looked, have no pre requisites or formal testing) and ponied up the $$$$bucks necessary to buy your way into the set up. I'm sure the fee for online stuff is substantially cheaper which will reflect itself in fees charged the client. Doesn't mean that the folk who do this haven't done a more established training such as I outlined above in addition but certainly, if they are going just the SS cert route (and Ripp would claim this is all you need) then I'll stick my neck out and call BS on "better trained"

Just the basic coursework alone for ACE, AFAA, NASM, NSCA and ACSM (the major accredited bodies (that Ripp likes to dump on) addresses basic anatomy/kinesiology, physiology/exercise science in both the healthy AND medically compromised populations. That's the "complexity"or, as I would put it.... the reality of training a member of the general public.

It's entirely possible that trainers you met in a commercial gym were poorly trained. Possible....... but not likely. If they were unfamiliar with or not enthusiastic about the "Starting Strength" model it's because it's a niche market and not really appropriate for the average person walking into a gym first week in January looking to buy a training package (after years/decades of a sedentary lifestyle)

If you're happy with the training you're doing right now, why change. The gains you get are 80% down to what you do anyway.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.