No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm on my 3rd cross country move (MD-AZ-MD-AZ) in the last 16 years. No one else in my family has really moved anywhere, especially on my mother's side of the family.

I have to say it gets harder as you get older. I don't mean the physical part of it (fortunately I've had packers/movers do most things for me) but the emotional part. While I've never cared for the weather, traffic, cost of living in MD, it is still home to me and I have my father, my brother's family that includes my 15 yr old nephew (never had kids of my own) in MD. I just really enjoyed my time in Scottsdale and feel more comfortable, relaxed there.

My girlfriend can't move east since she spends a lot of time helping her 90 yr old mother and MD is just too far away. Fortunately I'm returning to a house that I've never sold (been renting since 2011) and to a company and manager I've worked for before although I'm giving up a safe government job back east. I'm planning to retire in 3.5 years.

And now I can understand why some people just don't want to move to better weather, lower taxes, because they don't want to leave family.

The thought of actually building a house sounds exciting but too many hassles for me. I'd rather go the fixer upper route.

Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.