Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm pretty sure at the federal level the bureaucrats run the majority of government and the politicians simply redirect them.

According to my expert when asked some years back, the Deputy Ministers can run the day to day business of the government but cannot change the system or laws. Deputy ministers are often very senior Foreign Affairs (now called Global Affairs) people on home posting.

It's never good when one party gets wiped off the map. Wasn't good to the conservatives Federally in '92 (?) nor the Liberals in '02 (?). If recollection servers correctly.

Recollection does not serve at least in the case of the Conservatives who went into the 1993 election with 154 seats and left with just two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_199...

I was living in Germany at the time working for NATO and thought it was a mistake when I saw it on the German news the next morning. I'll reserve my views on whether is was good or bad but certainly well deserved.

Tim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.