Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm pretty sure the spin-off has tax consequences as well, as it was paid as a dividend - just went through today.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Nag,

My understanding is that the "merger" should be thought of as a sale and a (subsequent) repurchase.

So, there is a tax consequent for long term holders. The cost basis for the "new" company will be based on the repurchase price.

Hope this helps.
Gadesh.
Also the after-the-fact spin off of the automotive interiors business.
Also the after-the-fact spin off of the automotive interiors business.

Oops, I see the OP asked about tax implications. Obviously the spin-off doesn't factor.
Thank you all for the info. The paperwork indicated that JCI would face tax consequences...and wanted to make sure I understood.
And yes the spin off was good info. More figuring basis.

Yes, long term holder here - in a drip.
Would've wanted to time the sales of this instead of the company deciding for me :-(

nag
I am a long term shareholder in JCI as well. While I was planning to hold longer, with all the things going on with JCI (reverse merger, spinoff) and the possibility that I might be assigned cash ($34 instead of the stock price), I am planning to sell my entire lot...

Curious what other shareholders are planning to do...

Gadesh.
Gadesh,

I'm with you - goodbye JCI.

nag
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm pretty sure the spin-off has tax consequences as well, as it was paid as a dividend - just went through today.