No. of Recommendations: 11
I've backtested this technique. The rules are a bit subtle (or I'm just slow) and I had to re-read it a bunch of times to get it.
Basically:
1) Buy signal is close above the SMA.
2) Sell signal is close below the SMA *unless* any of the Fed signals are positive. That is, only if *all* of them are negative.

Restated, you only take the sell signal if we are in a recession. If not in a recession, buy/hold and don't sell, no matter what the SMA (or NH/NL or whatever) signal says. Make logical sense.

In followup posts/comments, he said that further study indicated to him that the unemployment (employment?) signal was all that was needed, and was the most useful.
FWIW, I decline to look at that, because there is too much political shenanigans with un/employment figures. They lie, like Red China does, for political reasons.

The signals one has to use are always delayed at least one month,
Which does not matter. True tops are usually rounded and you've usually got plenty of time to get out before the market rolls over.

Remember .. the purpose of timing is not to increase your return, it's to get you out before the full depths of a bear market. Other than these bad bear markets, you want to be always in the market. Using these Fed recession signals to negate a SMA sell signal accomplishes that. My backtests increased the time-in-market from ~75% to ~85%.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.