Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I've been doing it a lot since bond yields are way down.

You can buy ETY and they will do it for you (Eaton Vance Diversified Equity Income Fund). I bot a bunch of shares of ETY in 2013. I'll see if I can crank out my annual yield sometime, it should be at least 9%, probably more. (P.S., you can't sell covered calls against ETY shares).

If you do it with dividend payers, remember to watch for the dividend cut-off date.

With no commissions nowadays, you can sell a covered call or warrant with a short expiration date coming up...a few weeks out, or maybe a month. Once that's executed, you can buy it back just before expiration (very little premium), and sell the next covered call/warrent. Takes a little more time, but pays off better than just selling an option/warrant that's 9 months to a year out.

I presently have positions in NLY, SO, and Wells Fargo with covered calls sold against those shares.

For me, Etrade has the best position to execute buy-write trades or buy-option/sell option trades.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.