Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I've been to New Zealand for about a month this year and the last two. I did 5 separate cycling tours on the South Island and rode a bit around Martinborough(more about wine tasting but nice way to do it) as well. They were with companies - I recommend Pure Trails NZ* and Green Jersey(for the North Island. There's a app - Great Rides of New Zealand(or something like that)- I may eventually try for all of them.

It IS beautiful but I think it's more impressive if you aren't living in a pretty nice place. Probably 80% of the trails on the South Island are gravel and/or dirt so that was all on a hybrid.

I haven't biked Queen Charlotte Sound yet but I highly recommend Okiwa Bay Lodge & the optional dinners there.

*The US $ is still in good shape in the exchange rate, there is no tipping in NZ and people who live there & Australia are less willing to spend money on travel.

I will be doing a self-guided but arranged trip late summer in the San Juan Islands(WA) through Macs Adventures that I bought at a bicycle gala auction. If it goes well, I may do more that way. I've also started leaning toward just renting a good bike when I go places. Next year, I am doing an organized tour from San Diego to St. Augustine (58 days, 8 of them rest days) and that requires me to ship my own bike.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.