Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I've been trying to figure out how to post on this since the rumor broke.

I can't quite figure out how this happened.

Well, here's one factor: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27524780/clowney-says-ot...
Clowney says OT Brown sold him on Seattle
RENTON, Wash. -- The deal that brought Jadeveon Clowney to the Seattle Seahawks came down to the wire, according to coach Pete Carroll, and had been on general manager John Schneider's radar for several months before it was completed over the weekend.
and Clowney's quote on the conversation:
"He was like, 'You need to come play with us. You'll love it here. Great weather. It's not hot like Houston. Great fan support. Other great teammates on this team. Come be a part of something great,'" Clowney recalled. "I was like, 'Man, you know what? I'm going to look into that, try to get up there with you guys.'"

Smart people know the answers. In the meantime, Carroll and Schneider are writing the questions. They knew they could get top dollar for Clark in his prime. They knew the lay of the land for D-linemen. More on that below. My favorite summary of the Clowney trade was basically, 'Schneider is patient and knows what he's doing, while Houston is a dumpster fire.'

From this take on it:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27506880/barnwell-bill-o...
If this were simply a swap of Clowney for Stills and Tunsil, this Texans trade would have been defensible. Unfortunately, there's the small consideration of the draft picks involved in this deal. When you factor that the Texans got a third-round pick from Seattle while sending two first-round picks and a second-round selection and more to Miami, though, this looks like a desperate attempt to fix a problem the team created for itself. In sending away years of valuable draft picks, O'Brien and the GM-by-committee running the Texans mortgaged the future for a quick fix.

Other bits: Clowney digs the Wilson vibe, and Duane Brown was also vouching for Clowney to Carroll. Players know who works hard and will help them get to the big game and who's just cashing checks. Big thing: Clowney will do much better at his natural DE slot than he did in Houston's 3-4. Another key element: This goes beyond this year. Seattle not to F-tag Clowney for 2020 and he's only 26, so there's a good chance a long-term deal to stay will be worked out during the season. Seattle was VERY linebacker-heavy even if Kendricks goes to jail, and saves enough pay Clowney by including 14-game starter Barkevious Mingo in the deal. Both Mingo and Jacob Martin are basically 'half-decent starter for a 5-win team' caliber guys (see also: Aaron Curry, Bruce Irvin, Malcolm Smith), though Martin has better upside.

For even more excellent local color on the details of how this went down (this is the aforementioned "more"), see Bob Condotta's breakdown just posted this afternoon:
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/did-the-seahawk...

Funny thing, and then I'll stop rambling: A week or so ago, ESPN's had Seattle at 7-9 this season, citing "weak front 7" as a big reason (they also predicted Cincy will come in and upset Seattle at home this Sunday--they're 9.5-point dogs as I type). Since the Clowney trade, Ziggy Ansah's recovery, and the pre-season performance of rookie Ben Burr-Kirven (who I should mention, led the NCAA in tackles for the University of Washington last season), they now look to have one of the best, especially after they get Jarran Reed back in Week 7. Big high waves in the Elliott Bay sunshine right now. The lull might come soon enough, but right now we're seeing the embodiment of the Pete Carroll goal statement: 'to consistently field a championship-caliber team'.

-n8 (Seattle's also deep at RB; back at 'rumor' stage, I honestly thought they'd be including McKissic or Prosise in the deal because Houston lost Lamar Miller the year)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.