No. of Recommendations: 1
I've continued to pay down extra over the years - at the present time, I'm making essentially a a double payment every month, and will be paid off at the end of April 2020. That will pay off my loans in about 15 years.

A few other notes for posterity:

DW never has reentered the workforce in a meaningful way, but continues to work some, maintain a professional license, and do her best to take care of kids.

I do have some debt other than the student loans:

$3000 @ 0% on a credit card (goes to normal rate in August), planned pay off by May 2020.
$15,500 @ 0% on a car. We are not underwater at this point, but will snowball into paying this off quickly, with a target of paying it off in July 2021
$57,000 @ 4.125% on a mortgage, to be snowballed after the car is paid off.

We are maxing out my 401k, contributing to IRA, and making contributions to regular (taxable) investment accounts.

The student loans were a bit overwhelming when I graduated, a pain in 2011 when this thread first started, and an annoyance over the last few years as my income climbed. I am glad that I got a science degree for my BS that was broadly useful in a number of decent paying work environments, and I'm even happier with with getting my advanced degrees. Student loans gave me some opportunities I don't think I would have realized without them. I also really appreciate the posters here at MF that have helped me analyze paying down debt and making investments in a prudent fashion.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.