Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I've followed for a while. I am less interested in the price differential from $10-$15 and more interested in their ability to drive comps. The business should have a meaningful catering opportunity, but the #1 driver is of course in store sales. I've seen some service issues at GA locations, and I think tightening up the guest experience will do wonders for SSS over a 2-3 year period.

I appreciate the lack of true direct fast casual competition. Yes they have to compete with the sea of other general options, but unlike Chipotle, at least there are not five options offering almost the exact same food.

If they can get comps back up to the 4% range, with their growth runway the market can price out a golden future, so I'd rather see signs of trending towards that eventuality and buy at $15 (or a bit higher) than try and buy lower. I don't see it turning into NDLS (ZOES much better concept), but expansion without the SSS is not a winning game unless really cheap and a good balance sheet.

If you are looking in the space, I think CHUY is worth a look (small long-term position). Not cheap at the moment, but think management team is pretty good, the store model pretty good, and solid growth runway.

The other name I need to look at closer is LOCO. Seems relatively cheap on its face, but I don't know the business well enough to know what I am missing. Stock at $9, guiding to .68-.73 for 2018 vs. .63 in 2017. Guiding for flat comps, with mixture of franchise and company locations to be added.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.