Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Go vote!

Our ballot was once again two-sided and nearly full; I waited about 30 minutes outside in line, but it only took 15 inside.

impolite
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I had zero people in line in front of me. Hopefully my vote will count since the poll worker screwed up the scan of the barcode on my ballot.

A big thank you to early voters who cleared out the line for me.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 0
Go vote!

Our ballot was once again two-sided and nearly full; I waited about 30 minutes outside in line, but it only took 15 inside.

impolite

Over here we can vote till 10pm. My voting station is 7 minutes walk so I go out around 9:30pm to vote and it's as quiet as the grave.

Si
No. of Recommendations: 7
I think it's time I stopped calling myself a Republican. I counted my votes today and I was 7-4 in favor of the Democrats. This is the first time I've ever been above 50% for Democrats in any election cycle.

Though, for many cases it wasn't a policy call. For instance, I voted against the republican Eric Schmitt for state treasurer, because in the Post-Dispatch this is what he listed as his number one priority.

"1. Leverage the treasurer's office as a platform to spread the message that lower taxes and less government will grow our economy."

I agree with the policy, but what I want in a treasurer is someone whose number one priority is managing the states money.

From Wikipedia - The State Treasurer is responsible for managing more than $24 billion in annual revenues and more than $3.6 billion in state investments.[2] Additionally, the State Treasurer works to return nearly $700 million in unclaimed property to more than 4.3 million account owners.[3] The State Treasurer also helps oversee MOST - Missouri's 529 College Savings Plan,[4] which helps families start building a college fund.

I would think that actually doing that job would take up enough of your day that there would be little time for economic proselytizing.

I voted against the republican Mike Parsons for Lieutenant Governor because his number one priority was "fighting against federal overreach and standing up for our Constitution." Again, I'm all for fighting that federal overreach, but the Lieutenant Governor has several defined duties. Almost all of them are internal to the state of Missouri and none of them is being the attorney general.

However, I also voted against the Republican candidate for attorney general. He is also going to fight that federal overreach and that is actually part of his job, but I've heard his ads and he strikes me as really nasty - and that's fromm his own ads. Also he is going to "defend the rule of law from all who threaten it." I'm not sure if he thinks he's Superman or Ubermensch but I’m going to give him a pass.

I did manage to vote for the Republican candidate for secretary of state. That's because he described how he was going to run elections which is actually what the secretary of state is supposed to do. It gave me a little thrill to know that at least one Republican had actually read the job description for the job they wanted.

And yes, Synch can put it in his spreadsheet (I'm fairly sure he goes down to the individual voter level.) I did vote for Secretary Clinton. This is the first time in seven Presidential elections I have voted for the Democrat. I told my wife it was like choosing between the flu and pancreatic cancer. I don't have anything nice to say about the flu, but it will eventually go away and I am pretty sure I will still be alive when it does. She thought about that and said, "Well, I still want a flu shot."

She was going to write in someone. I told her to write in me. She looked at me with a straight face and said, "I don't think you'd make a good president." I told her that's probably not going to happen even if she does write in my name, but I can't move her.

Wally
No. of Recommendations: 2
I voted by mail because I'm an old fart, but I didn't get a sticker.
had actually read the job description for the job they wanted.

I've never voted a straight ticket, and this is exactly why: when it comes down to the city/county level jobs, I really super want someone WHO CAN DO THE DAMN JOB.

I don't want a lecture, I don't want someone with high-minded theories, I want the potholes filled, the parks to be mowed and the school buses to run. I don't give a flying cuff what party you affiliate with, you make those things happen on at least a mostly-regular basis, you have my vote.

State-level and above I balance theory with job duties, but county level I'm likely to see you at the grocery store and beyotch at you about a road project what's taking too long, R, D, or Grn.

impolite
I voted by mail because I'm an old fart, but I didn't get a sticker.

Here you go:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/11/08/_i_voted_stic...

Some of those are pretty funny!

Karen
No. of Recommendations: 1
So, I vote republican for two cycles and lose. I then vote Democrat and lose. I'm beginning to think the key to winning presidential elections is to get me to not like you.

Wally
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm beginning to think the key to winning presidential elections is to get me to not like you.

It worked for the Chicago Cubs too.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 5
It worked for the Chicago Cubs too.

Even a broken clock is right once every 108 years.

-synchronicity
I'm late to this party, but I'm always glad to hear from people who voted for Jay Ashcroft for MO Sec of State. I went to college with him and while we were not close friends, he was a stand up guy involved in various student activities including student government, and he was a good student and a classy guy. He has a master's degree in engineering management (we graduated in the same day with that degree) and thus is not the typical pre-law to law school wonk. I hope he does a stellar job and is a good public servant for a long time.