Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I've had so many good experiences with Bannerlord these past two weeks. Yesterday I ran one of the best battles yet. I had 200 vs. the AI having about 400. My troops were mostly high end. Maybe 90% high end troops (not highest, but very few recruits). I'm about 30% archers and cavalry, 20% infantry and horse archers.

Remember the computer can only run about 200 per side in these fights so they are big and the ratio is maintained. So I had my best 130 troops and the enemy had their best 260 troops (roughly).

I line my archers/crossbowmen up on a slight incline with my horse archers. Kept my infantry in reserve behind them and my cavalry way off to the side.

The first wave is always the horse archers. They went down with only a few of their horse archers making it to my lines. Then come the infantry and the cavalry to the flank. I let the archers do their damage and ran my cavalry across their lines twice as they approach. The trick here is to never let them stop and fight, just move them from one side of the field to the other at the front of the line. Then the grand melee starts. Infantry move forward, cavalry engage, archers move to melee. Their morale broke quickly. I love that this can happen, and if you are in the middle of the fight you hear their guys yelling, "This isn't worth it", "I can't take this any more", "Run!" It's great fun.

However....they will recover when you are outnumbered like this. So reposition my lines, maybe let my cavalry loose on them for a while, but bring everyone back and reset them for the second wave. Unfortunately for me, at this point my archers are running out of arrows. Still, I did enough that some of their force became demoralized and ran off. My cavalry went almost untouched as they swept across the field constantly.

In the end I lose less than 20% of my force. That assault was followed up by another army attack where I did even better. Then the castle I was sieging, their defenders sallied forth. By that point I had 160 to their 400, but it was low tier militia units mostly. Because it was a new fight their arrows got replenished (plus during a fight your archers will pick up arrows and quivers off the ground) and they got mopped up.

In all three fights I doubt I killed more than 10 people as I sat on the hill coordinating everyone. And it was the most fun I've ever had in any Mount & Blade game. Great bloody fun! Absolutely brilliant!

I can not recommend this game enough as a tactical game, let alone all the other aspects.

Simon
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.