No. of Recommendations: 6
I've heard of people who don't like to admit how old they are. Can you explain how that works? Do you deny your age to everyone? What about yourself . . . do you wake up in the morning and say to yourself, "I think I'll pretend to be only 30 today"? And I'm curious how denying your age actually helps. What does denial provide you that honesty about your age does not?

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify. I was not meaning to refer to the age number at all. I'm recovering from ankle fusion surgery from old injuries, and if I ever need a reminder of my age, I get it literally at every step.

What I was intending to refer to was a state of mind that AARP represents to me, which is kind of a stodgy one that I don't want to participate in. Maybe it's partly their ties to the insurance industry and political activity, and/or maybe they need to change up their marketing, but joining AARP would not represent to me a step in the direction that I would like to go in my life, in terms of retaining some youthful energy and mindset within the limitations that I have as an older person. I may be the only person in the world who feels this way about it, but nevertheless that is how I feel, and I have acted accordingly.

I realize there are many AARP members on this board who would take issue with that characterization, so I probably need to duck and run (slowly) for cover at this point, but I am certainly not making a blanket criticism of all AARP members here, and know there are many who would not fit my idea. My own mother was the gold standard of retaining the adaptable, engaged outlook on the world that I am shooting for until the day she died at 91, and she was a member.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.