Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've not traded options, but from what I know, I *think*:

* for actions like dividends, you are supposed to take that into account in pricing options (you should have known)
* for actions like splits, the strike price of the option is split in kind
* for actions like mergers/spinoffs, there is no logical way to adjust the strike price that is fair to both parties

However, if the spinoff goes through JD may retain partial or controlling ownership, and that would, in theory be reflected in its price. The parent, in some cases gets cash as part of the spinoff (like Thomson Reuters announcement today), and in some cases, a cash drain is removed.

Given that your options are longer duration, I'd think your exposure was less than a shorter duration option.

jeff
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.