Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I've noticed things slowing down from the frenzy before. Not saying it isn't still somewhat frantic depending on the location, but I do see homes on the market for 30-60 days whereas before the inventory was so limited, that rarely happened. I'm mostly referring to the AZ market.

From my perspective I found the application process for many rentals to be a royal PITA and worse than buying a house. In some cases I would never submit all of the paperwork they wanted. Just do a credit check, criminal check and verify income. Asking me about previous rentals is foolish since I hadn't rented a property in decades.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well I've been wanting to add investments and start in the Atlanta area - so it seems this week.....I paid $7,500 over asking price.

That is a little bit of a shocker, Atlanta was over built for years so I guess that back log has been worked through.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 0
In metro areas - like Acworth and Kennesaw it's been nuts.

IN the same townhome complex that I went $7500 over asking, in the last week (1) identical unit sold for $2500 less than I paid, and another identical unit sold for $1500 less than I paid.

However, mine is an end-unit, so I'm hoping that means something. The smart people are saying that inventory supply will rise in the coming year, making for less of these multiple-offer-over-asking- situations. So, I'm hoping I can say to myself in coming years that this unit was not a steal by any means, but it wasn't a loss. Sometimes I like "easy" in that A/B tenants are plentiful and there's not really much aggravation or too much risk.

Cobb County has 760,000 people - forecasted to go to a million by 2050. A developer recently bought land 5 minutes from the one I bought - - to build 900 homes. Those are $150,000 more than the place I bought so all that accounted for, I'm hoping this is a 'steady Eddie' for me. I wanted to deploy some cash - - and have a bit less exposure to dollars and paper assets.

Would like to buy another 3-6 units - - but I'm holding off to see if things get a bit more normal 6 months from now.
It took about 14 days after closing to get it rented out.

One surprise (not positive) was while we had about 22 walk-thrus, we had only 3 quality applications. (There were more, but just not of good quality). I'm hoping that is because it was end of September - and families, most of them were already settled for the school year.

Anyway, tenant is a 30something, 2 college degrees - and working in his chosen field for 6 years. His credit score is 850 - highest I've ever seen from an applicant.

I know I overpaid for the house in this frenzy - but just this week, I saw the exact same unit, in the exact same complex as mine was advertised for rent. Mine was a 2 year deal @1825 per month - with auto $100 bump for the 2nd year. This other unit was starting out at $1875. So 50 bucks isn't buying anyone a World Cruise, but if it rents for that in the next week or so I'll feel a bit more comfortable with it. As of now in that zip code, 3bed/2bath listings are very very few. Bracing myself for increase in inventory next year and then reevaluate the next move.
I've noticed things slowing down from the frenzy before. Not saying it isn't still somewhat frantic depending on the location, but I do see homes on the market for 30-60 days whereas before the inventory was so limited, that rarely happened. I'm mostly referring to the AZ market.

From my perspective I found the application process for many rentals to be a royal PITA and worse than buying a house. In some cases I would never submit all of the paperwork they wanted. Just do a credit check, criminal check and verify income. Asking me about previous rentals is foolish since I hadn't rented a property in decades.
Asking me about previous rentals is foolish since I hadn't rented a property in decades.

You do realize landlords don't know your rental history without asking?