Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 48
I've recently spent and incredible amount of time enjoying the financial statements of the Brookfield bunch. While I ran a business I am an accountant, 4 degrees in business and accounting. And grinding through reports was my hobby for years and I've managed to up my interest during this pandemic. BPY to me? BPY puts China to shame. But I've got a long way to go to start precise mention of ways I question BPY's very (in my view) inadequate figures to support its current valuation.

With all due respect, your posts (here...and on SeekingAlpha) would be much more useful if you spent half as much time on specifics as you do on telling everyone how long you've been invested in BAM, or that your daddy left you a fortune in Berkshire shares. Seriously. If your argument is rational and well-supported, then it doesn't matter for how long you owned XXXX. Whereas if you provide no specifics and no rationale, then I suspect most couldn't care less how long or how much you own.

More specifically to BAM and BPY, if you think their management is so shady, then it seems fairly unwise to keep holding BAM...regardless of how much of your position represents capital gains. In case it slipped your understanding, 1) capital tax rates are unbelievably low, and 2) you're going to have to pay taxes at some point anyway. So holding on to a stock while going on ad nauseum about how shady BAM is--with zero specifics--doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.