Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0

I've said this before, so I guess I'm boring, but we live quite happily in our own home on several acres in a scattered, small town, on a wooded ridge here in Vermont. No costly shoes or other clothes, no fancy cellphones, and just reasonable expenses for food and necessities. Mind you, we don't smoke, rarely drink, do not go to bars or expensive performances in theaters, and tend to live quietly. Speaking of which, we LOVE being able to enjoy the peace and quiet out here, except for occasional planes flying over or a vehicle going by on the dirt road 150 feet away

We retired at 62 (because we had to for various reasons) and have no big pensions or big IRA's. We live pretty comfortably, to be honest. We contribute to our church and to charities we KNOW are for real (mostly local ones). We think our state is aa pretty nice place to live, frankly, contrary to some of the published "lists".

A lot of life -- and retirement -- is what you make of it.

Vermonter

Just curious, how expensive is housing in a nice area of Vermont?

Enjoy.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.