No. of Recommendations: 12
I've toured about a dozen facilities (independent-to-assisted living, and rehab/nursing). None have online pricing. All were upfront about pricing during the tour. Given I'd want to see a place in person anyway, before making a decision, that was fine with me.

Several places asked about my dad's eligibility for veterans' benefits. My guess is places don't divulge prices online because it might scare some people off who in fact could afford it if they take advantage of benefits they might not know about, but that the facility can help with.

The other reason prices aren't online is because all have different pricing structures, and you'd have to ask a lot of questions to pin down exactly what it would cost. Some are pay-a-bunch-upfront, but most that I toured just charge monthly, and have level-of-care tiers, with a points-tallying table defining the tiers, which makes sense to me. One has a flat monthly rate for everyone, which is unusual and IMO not quite fair to the lower-maintenance residents. Also, what's included varies. Almost all places have an option to pay $x/month more for them to provide incontinence products, but one requires the family to provide the Depends. One had, in their online monthly newsletter, a reminder to families to check the residents' shower curtains because some were falling apart, and I thought, "What? We're paying thousands a month, and you can't even supply a damn shower curtain?" but in the place Dad's in now, yeah, the resident (i.e., family) is responsible for sheets, towels, shower curtains, etc. Also toiletries. It's not like a hotel, where soap & shampoo are provided.

Another wrinkle with the level-of-care tiers is that you can define how much assistance someone needs in the shower, but forget to ask how often showers are provided. I was appalled to find that my dad's place was showering him only 3x/week. I demanded daily, and they complied but bumped up his level-of-care (totally worth it). I have a friend whose mother is in a Medicaid facility and gets showered only once per week.

So yeah, it's complicated. Online info is just marketing. The nitty gritty is not attractive.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.