Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I’m not sure the best way to address the responses, so I will take each and provide my thoughts accordingly. I am a little long winded, so I apologize in advance.

RE: Your declaration means little. This board gets posts at times. If you want more here, then POST.

Fair enough.

RE: The traffic may be slow, but at least it's almost 100% ON Topic. There are other boards here who have grown into a social board. This one has not.

Good point, sort of. This is my frustration with the MF in general. The diehards have hard and fast rules and will actually delete posts that are too far off topic. I’ve been over to the FIRE discussion board and I see your point concerning the “social boards phenomenon” . I am sure those guys have talked the FIRE topics to death, but I’m not interested in discussing XYZ’s latest trip to Italy. I am not trying put down the Fool, as I am forever indebted to their generosity in providing poignant information when I needed it the most. I guess my point is we surely have more to talk about. I performed a quick scan and we Wannabees have only made 400 posts on this board in the last year. If you delete all the “great job” replies I am willing to bet there are less than 40 quality posts in the last year….and I am being generous with that number. I’m not trying to hurt anyone’s feeling, and I will gladly go radio silent if you are happy with the current state of this board, but frankly I am not happy with it. Another annoyance is the creation of all these spin off boards by the Fool that only serve to dilute the limited number of good boards on the site. Why do we need a 20 something site? And what is the difference between ‘Retire Early’ and FIRE anyways, other than I guess you can retire and not be Financially Independent?? OK, I’m done being negative as it brings me down.

What can be done to make this board a worthwhile experience? I suppose we could post our net worth, our plans to FIRE, etc. But is only valuable to a point, and will likely only generate more “great job” replies. I imagine the yearly income spread for our board as a whole is quit large as well, which makes the net worth post of little value. I am also willing to bet that most on this board have income that is far, far above the national income average.

What if we each posted a topic of interest from time to time? Would anyone be interested in seeing book summaries that are tangentially related to FIRE? On spring break I read “Value Averaging” by Edleson. This is a good read. I am a big fan of Malkiel, Bernstein (both Peter and William), recently read 1776 by McCullough (truly awesome), The Power of Focus by Hewitt, Canfield et al. I have become very interested in Risk, how to mitigate it, etc. I suppose that as I have accumulated more, the less interested I am in giving it all back. I am one, like many who started with a negative net worth. I plan to start reading “Against the Gods” by Bernstein. This will provide an interesting history of risk if nothing else.

I don’t know…just a thought…

RE: It seems you expect others to have a conversation and you just eavesdrop and listen in. Because there isn't conversation going on, you accuse the board of being dead? My regrets that you hinge that much on other people's words and ideas.

Same point Acme raised, but still a good point.

RE: The board is what it is.

I Agree, but would love to make it better.

One last parting shot... Perhaps FIRE is so simple in concept (difficult in practice), there really isn't much left to talk about.

1. Live below your means
2. Invest the difference from what you make and what you spend/give away.
3. Grow your assets to the point that you can comfortably live within the 3-4% safe withdrawal rate.

Thanks….
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.