Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
ibaldoc,

Thanks for the generous comments on the book. I will be the first to admit that some of the calculations are hard to follow; heck, I hard a hard time following Cash Flow and Security Analysis and The Quest for Value when I started out.* But the more companies you study using our two alternate income statements, the easier it gets.

If you are serious about investing, you need a spreadsheet. You can build a defensive income statement in a couple of minutes. The enterprising P&L, however, takes a little more work. You may want to visit Aswarth Damodaran's web site at http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/ to check out his spreadsheets, which includes an EVA spreadsheet if I am not mistaken. I recommend all of Damodaran's books. (I do not intend to distribute my spreadsheet because it is proprietary; also, if there is an error in my spreadsheet, then I would feel bad if it caused you to lose money.)

Now to answer your question, yes you can create an Earnings Power Chart using the 30 second approach. To get a per-share figure for the enterprising income statement, try this if you are able: ((return on capital - cost of capital) * capital), divided by shares outstanding.

Maybe other visitors to this board have some suggestions.

My 30 second approach is to see if the company has a return on equity over 20%, and if operating and free cash flow are trending up. I like to see persistent growth; companies that go up and down go in the trash can. You can get this information from Morningstar. I highly recommend Morningstar's web site, including their intrinsic value calculations. I have seen the spreadsheets the Morningstar analysts use to estimate intrinsic value, and they are extremely comprehensive.

*My book synthesizes the free cash flow and Economic Value Added income statements described in these two books.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.