No. of Recommendations: 3
But I don't buy it. For some reason IBD changed from "under pressure" to "Confirmed uptrend". They say the 9/16 distribution day has dropped off due to time (25 trading days), but that leaves 7 distribution days for Naz and S&P. If you look at today's indexes, volume is NOT higher than Friday's and not higher than average. Sure the Naz was up 0.9% and sure indexes are near highs, but with that many distribution days I would be very cautious. Only buy the highest rated growth stocks and high volume breakouts from proper bases. No margin yet. If you are following IBD/CANSLIM, you would have taken profits and kept good cash levels during the "under pressure" period. I would only put some of that cash to work as noted above and wait for some profits before diving into another breakout. And only on a proper breakout.

Now that indexes are holding above their 50-day moving averages, the September highs loom as a major test of the market's upward trend. To do that, the stock market will need top-rated stocks to cooperate. That's happening, to some extent. The IBD 50 added 0.8%, in line with the broad market.

Copart (CPRT), which is also in IBD Leaderboard, rose to a new high in triple its average volume.
... that's the kind of volume you love to see on a breakout.

and this is a yellow flag...
While dozens of stocks topped buy points Monday, breakouts were lackluster. Many sank back below buy points, volume was limp, stocks were thinly traded or there was a combination of those faults. Boot Barn (BOOT), for instance, cleared its 37.72 buy point but closed below it.

another flag
In another report, FactSet said Q3 net profit margin for the S&P 500 is tracking at 11.3%. That would mark the first time there have been three straight quarters of year-over-year declines in net profit margin since Q1 2009-Q3 2009, a recession period

Im my opinion we are still subject the to ever changing China trade wars so I would treat the "confirmed uptrend" very cautiously.

some to watch, I have not finished checking their growth rankings, but charts are near buy points...

stock Price Pivot Chnge above/Below Pivot
tdg $521.93 $542.20 -0.89% -3.74%
tpx $81.81 $81.95 -1.09% -0.17%
boot $37.30 1.21% #DIV/0!
cmg $851.54 $858.00 1.18% -0.75%
edu $116.56 $115.98 2.35% 0.50%
v $176.43 $187.15 0.41% -5.73%
ma $274.30 $273.79 1.34% 0.19%
flt $292.20 $304.75 0.13% -4.12%
gpn $161.35 $176.05 0.76% -8.35%
fisv $104.44 $110.02 -1.18% -5.07%
cost $301.08 $307.94 -0.59% -2.23%

https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/candleglance.html?$INDU,$...

Top stocks to watch in or near buy zones include Boot Barn (BOOT), Cirrus Logic (CRUS), FleetCor Technologies (FLT) and Lululemon (LULU). Meanwhile last week's featured stock idea, Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG), is within striking distance of a breakout ahead of Tuesday's earnings.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.