No. of Recommendations: 0
I'd apply the law in the state where this took place.

Normally, an adoption cannot be overturned.

When the birth mother let her partner legally adopt the child, she forfeited her rights to sole custody.

If I were the judge, I would:

a) Grant primary custody to the woman who adopted the kid.

b) Grant visitation to the birth mother, provided she paid child support. No more than 1 weekend a month to have the kid alone, and two weeks during the summer. She blew it when she allowed the child to be adopted by her partner. If she had intended to support the child, she never would have allowed an adoption. It was a 'dereliction of duty' and she forfeited most parental rights including custody.

c) Tell the father he has no obligations to the child since the child has been adopted. however, if he wants visitation, he will be required to pay child support to the person who legally adopted this child.


Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.