Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'd give high marks to close to family. It can have many advantages. As long as its not too close.

Good points!
But, I bought a house right down the block from my daughter and my two granddaughters. I can see her house from my driveway and I swore up and down that I would not live close to her. We survive here because we love the town. We can walk to the ocean. There are some decent restaurants. It's a very walkable little town. I told my daughter we would NEVER knock on her door and that we would always be here if she needed us. The only way to live close to your adult children when you retire is to mind your own business and have your own life.
We got a puppy in September and he's like having another kid. He's a full time job. We don't have to feel bad if we don't see our grandkids as much as we used to as they both go to school and they have lots of activities. Our pup takes up most of our time now so things are working out for all of us.
PS: my husband comes from Mexico and they'd have to helicopter us into an ex-pat enclave before we'd ever live in that dangerous country!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.