Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'd like to add another comment to this interesting thread.

There has been natural concern about the underlying business model that would allow RedHat to grow and prosper over time, and that, in particular, neither distributing open-source software nor selling support services gives one the gut-level sense that "Here is a great business concept."

However, consider: In a new and rapidly-changing business area, we encounter new and unexpected business opportunities. These ultimately become the big growth engines that in turn spawn breakthough products and businesses.

I believe that such opportunities WILL develop in the wake of Linux market growth. What will they be? Who knows? (And that's another topic.)

So who will be in the best position to exploit these opportunities? Some newcomers will certainly be able to launch and survive; but I believe that Red Hat will be in an ideal position to expand its business model, leveraging its technical strengths, human resources, brand image, market capitalization, and existing relationships. Red Hat is a technical and business powerhouse in search of "the next big thing."

So I'm more optimistic about Red Hat as a company than those who only consider Red Hat's potential in terms of its service and CD revenue streams.

JMHO -- Trevor
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.