Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I'd like to jump in here for a sec, if that's OK...

Since the Palestinian's goal is to make Israel Palestine and nothing short of that, then what in blinkin' blazes is the reasoning behind putting them in such close proximity to their goal except to see who would win the war?
AND
What's Israel thinkin' in agreeing to the arrangement?

I think it's becoming more and more clear that this agreement (the Oslo Accords) was not a very good one, to say the least. What was Israel thinking when it agreed to the arrangement? Well, first of all, the present government had nothing to do with it. The deal was signed by Yitzhak Rabin, Shimon Peres and Yasser Arafat. Rabin was assasinated, Peres was defeated by Benjamin Netanyahu ages ago (although he is now serving as the Foreign Minister in the National Unity Government), and Yasser Arafat remains the leader of the Palestinian cause - which as you correctly stated, has not been made clear by the media.

If I'm a soverign nation and some group of people decide that I shouldn't be, I'm going to keep them as far away as I can. Especially if they like to play 'terrorist'. Can my police force find who is actually personally responsible for terrorist activities? Heck no. So what do I do for the people I'm sworn to protect?

Retaliate.

The biggest problem that I have with this whole thing is that Yasser Arafat and the PA DO know who is personally responsible for terrorist activities, yet they have not done anything about it. The whole point of the agreement was that Arafat would stop the terror and Israel would give the Palestinians some land in return. To date, Israel has given away most of the territories in Gaza and the West Bank, as well as Hebron, one of Judaism's holiest cities. Has the hate died down at all in return? Have we seen any strides toward the PEACE part of the "Land for Peace" agreement? Why not?

If it's because:
A) Arafat has no interest in making peace with his sworn enemies, then there is simply no point in continuing with negotiations.

or

B) Arafat simply cannot control the terrorists, then what's the point of having negotiations with him? Maybe the negotiations should be with Hamas or Fatah or Hezbollah...

In the meantime, Arafat is getting rich off of his people's suffering. Where has all of the aid that the PA collected gone? I see PA ministers driving around in fancy cars and wearing nice suits while they send their people in need out to throw stones. Children's cartoons (on PA-sponsored TV) encourage their viewers to go out and fight.

This isn't the peace anyone was looking for. What we have now is a corrupt government in the PA, and a people that seems to be worse off than ever before.

In terms of your retaliation remark, I agree that the Israeli government is left with no other choice. The Barak government (foolishly) offered Arafat a deal last summer that even the Americans couldn't believe- and Arafat said NO. Supposedly, he feared that he would have been assasinated. Assasinated? For finalizing the agreement that he won a Nobel Peace Prize for?! Then why should Israel continue negotiations with this man?

Jerusalem is the site of the most holiest of places to both the Jewish and Christian religions. Well, it's also the most holiest of places to the Palestinians and Jerusalem is what they want, only they call it Palestine. It's what they want- not the west bank, not Chicago, but Jerusalem- and they won't be satisfied 'till they get it.

Jerusalem is the THIRD holiest place to the Palestinians. In fact, when they pray, they turn their backs to Jerusalem and face Mecca.
Jews all over the world face Jerusalem when they pray. Let's also not forget that the Arabs have over 20 other "Arab" countries to live in, whereas the Jews only have one place they can truly call "Home."

Bill Clinton picked the wrong dispute on which to hang his 'peacemaker' hat. What he did was create the most potentially violent atmosphere we've seen since Abel got parental preferrential treatment and Cain took offense!

Bill Clinton spent a great deal of time trying to resolve this issue, and for that he should be commended. However, because HIS time was running out as President, he put both sides at risk by pushing for an agreement they weren't ready to make, based on conditions they couldn't agree to follow.

How can it be justified to set off bombs in public places where innocent people are to further the cause of the destruction of a race of people that happen to occupy Palestine?
k

Your guess is as good as mine ;)

Dan

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.