No. of Recommendations: 0
I'd like to use part of the money to invest on my own, as I've done very well with researching via and a couple of the newsletters. Does anyone know if I can roll part of it to my E*Trade account or if I'd have to move the whole thing?

A partial rollover is allowed by law, but not required. Step one is contacting your plan adminitrator and finding out what your plan's rules are.

If you decide to do a rollover, keep in mind the old adage to "measure twice, cut once." For example, it must be done as a direct transfer from the 401(k) to the IRA custodian without your ever taking possession of the money. Otherwise the 401(k) must withhold 20% for Federal income tax.

IRS Publications 575 and 590 have the details, and once you've settled on a plan of action, feel free to run it by us here for a sanity check.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.