Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8

I'd love to comment further, but I can't comment at length on the topic. I would say this -- focus on what Buffett said in the annual report on how Gen Re people are going to be compensated. I strongly believe that people will do what they are motivated to do. In other words, if your compensation depends on EPS growth, you'll get EPS growth by hook or crook. If if depends on profit margins, you'll get profit margins even if it means additions to invested capital strip away the benfit of higher margins. So just listen to what Buffett says on that -- absent a mega-catastrophe, he expects cost of float to fall this year and he says Gen Re has the tools to become the world's most profitable reinsurance company. That doesn't look like a loss of faith to me at all. I expect Berkshire will gladly reward very handsomely those people that can deliver on these goals.
Dale
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.